Wednesday, December 5, 2007
UPDATE on 13 May 08: This widget is no longer available as Spotplex has gone offline since 09 May 08. Please read the latest news about Spotplex here.
List of popular posts is, by far, the most difficult widget to implement and I had seen very little work on this area for Blogger/ Blogspot. Earlier, I have used a version from AffiliateBrand, which I will discuss in another post. Now, I am going to recommend another version from Spotplex, which I found more powerful.
How to install the tracking code?
The following steps will guide you through the simple installation procedure
- Please click here to go to Spotplex home page.
- Once the home page is opened, please click on the rectangle near the top-right corner of the page with the title “Get your Spotplex code”
- Step 1: Register your blog
- Type your blog address
- Click on the button “Get my Spotplex code”
- Step 2: Blog information
- The title will automatically be retrieved. If you want to change it, then do so.
- Write a simple description for your blog
- Select the categories, maximum of 3
- Select your blog’s language
- Type in your e-mail address
- Check on the “I agree to the terms …”
- Click on the “Submit” button
- Step 3: Get your Spotplex code
- This is basically the credit to Spotplex. Choose whether you want to display an image or no image
- Then, select the blogging platform. If your blog is on Blogger, then choose Blogger
- Click the button “Install Spotplex Widget”
- This will open the login page for Blogger. Login with your account and install the Spotplex widget.
You have just completed the installation of the tracking code that will track the page views on your blog. The next part is to install the Popular posts widget. Install the tracking code as explained above, otherwise the popular posts widget will not work.
How to install the Popular Posts Widget?
- Click on the link “Get widget” just below the header
- Scope: Choose “Specific blog” to display the popular articles of your own blog
- Type: Type your blog url or the Spotplex code in the text box and then select “Popular Articles”
- Choose the period for refreshing the popular articles. If you select “24 hours”, it will display your popular articles over the last 24 hours. If you select “All time”, it will display your all time popular posts
- Choose the width and height based on your sidebar dimensions
- Choose how many posts to display, 5, 10 or 15
- Click on “Get this widget”
- This will display the HTML code for the widget. Copy the code to clipboard.
- Login to your Blogger account
- On the dashboard, Click on “Layout”
- On the Page elements tab, click on “Add a page element”
- Paste the code from Spotplex and save the page element
That’s it. You have completed the installation. Wait for some time to let Spotplex collect the data. Then, the popular posts widget will start showing your popular articles with the number of views for each post as shown below:
If you have any queries, feel free to leave a comment. I will respond as soon as possible. Please subscribe to my feed if you like this post