Blog Review: Tech Span

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

+++++ +++++
Blog Title: Tech Span
Blog url: http://vizlabs.blogspot.com/

Tech Span is fairly a new blog that aims to provide an insight into the latest technology trends. The blog is around for about 2 months. As of today, I notice only about 10 discussions has been posted.

I like the writing style of the author. I believe his writing will become more professional and polished as time goes by. But the updates are not regular, the break between posts extends as much as 3 weeks. Ideally, there should be a frequency set for the posting and the author should follow that. It can be once a week, twice a week or whatever the author is comfortable with.

There are too many colors in the text and it is very hard to distinguish the links. Most of the links are in blue color without any underline. Suddenly, I found one link with underline style. I also noticed non-link text in blue color. This is really misleading. The author should stick to one color and style for all the links and should not use the link color for normal text.

Similarly, I notice many colors being used to highlight certain keywords. I do agree that keywords should be highlighted. But, once again, try to use one color and style for all keywords to highlight them.

I also notice the line height is not consistent within posts. Take the post on Mash; two different line heights have been used. Some posts use a justified alignment while some are using left aligned text.

To summarize, here are my suggestions for improvement:
  1. The updates should be regular

  2. Be consistent with your styles. Choose a particular style for each element and apply it uniformly over the entire blog. Readers get used to a certain style on your blog. If something is different from the norm, they will find it difficult.

  3. You are currently using a standard Blogger template. Try to find a template that can give a better look to your blog.

  4. I suggest shifting the search box to the top of the blog.

Every blog has certain deficiencies and the feedback here is not to criticize but to help in the improvement. I hope the author would take my comments positively. My best wishes for successful blogging. If you have any feedback, positive or negative, please leave a comment here.

Please subscribe to my feed if you like this post

4 comments:

Ryan George December 13, 2007 at 1:33 AM  

Hi Manick,
Thanks for the review...on expected lines...the points you've raised are valid definitely & i'll have to takeout time off my busy 9-9 coding schedule for the same...
As far as Assess my Blog is concerned..you are going great guns with a perfect layout now..
I hope i find time to rectify the pitfalls, & get it re-reviewed from you 3-4 monts down the line with a 10/10...

Thanks & Happy Blogging!!

-Ryan
Tech Span

Manick December 13, 2007 at 6:31 AM  

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your understanding. Blogging is really time consuming. With a full-time job, it sucks your blood. I am not sure how long I can sustain this. The monetary rewards are not even a single digit fraction of my salary.

I am happy that you took the comments positively. The most difficult task of a reviewer is to convince that the review is aimed at further improvement. A review should be useful. If my review helps you to improve, I would be very happy.

Thanks for your feedback on this blog. I remember I made changes to the layout after you commented that it is too flashy.

Thanks and keep in touch.

Anonymous January 16, 2008 at 5:01 AM  

Thanks Ryan for the tips!!!

Anonymous July 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Hi You could also write about this blog

www.comptechtips.blogspot.com

->Lash

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP