Quick Search for Blogger Blogs

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A search box helps to find relevant information easily on a blog. A good navigation system alongwith a search feature would be ideal. Is there a way to search the blog even if it does not provide a search box?

The problem
As you might have experienced, some blogs do not have a search feature installed. This makes it very difficult to filter posts for a specific keyword.

For example, I have reached a blog through search engine for a keyword 'Blogger Hack'. Suppose, I landed on a page that describes how to install 'Recent Posts widget for Blogger'. I found the post useful and want to find whether there are any posts on 'Related posts widget for Blogger'. If the navigation system is good, then it is fine. What happens if I don't have a good navigation? I would like to search next. What happens if I don't see the search box also?

The Solution
Blooger has a cool solution to this. All you have to do is type the blogspot url and append search?q=keyword.

For example, if you want to search for posts that are related to widgets on this blog, then you just have to type the following url: http://assessmyblog.blogspot.com/search?q=widgets. Thats all. Blogger will retrieve all posts that contain the keyword widgets.

If you would like to search for a phrase, then you have to use search?q=keyword1+keyword2+...+keywordn. For example, to search on this blog for Widgets for Blogger, I will use http://assessmyblog.blogspot.com/search?q=widgets+for+blogger.

Conclusion
As far as I know, this trick works only with Blogger blogs. So, don't get frustrated if you can't see a search box in a Blogger blog. Use this easy and quick search feature. Please subscribe to my feed if you like this post

1 comments:

Anonymous January 16, 2008 at 5:03 AM  

I don't how you did find this but....thanks!

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP