Meta Tags for Blogger: Part 4

Saturday, November 24, 2007

In this post, I will discuss how to include meta tags in your Blogger HTML code, with an illustrated example. This is the final post in the meta tags series. If you have not read my earlier posts, then you can find them at Meta Tags for Blogger: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

How to install the meta tags in Blogger?
  1. Log in to your Blogger account.

  2. On your dashboard, click on the “Layout” link.

  3. Click on the “Edit HTML” tab.

  4. Look for the code portion <title><data:blog.pageTitle/></title>. You should be able to find this in the first few lines itself. If not, use ctrl+F to search

  5. Type in your description meta tag and keyword meta tag just below this line.

  6. Save your template.

Example
<title><data:blogPageTitle/></title>
<meta name=’description’ content=’Unfolding the mysteries of blogging: Find blogging tips, blog reviews, Blogger widgets and useful tools’/>
<meta name=’keywords’ content=’Online money, Blogging tips, Blog reviews’/>

Word of Caution
Use the meta tags judiciously. I am repeating this. If you use them improperly, it may backfire on you. It might destroy your search engine ranking.

Where to find more information?
I have to accept that I am not an SEO expert. If you still need further information, you can read the following. I find them very useful and practical posts on meta tags:

Please subscribe to my feed if you like this post

4 comments:

Free Money Maker December 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM  

Thanks for this post.Hey I have implement my meta tag successfully,but when to check from websitegrader its showing nothing.What happened there?

Manick December 8, 2007 at 8:30 AM  

Hi Kabiraj,

Its good that you have implemented the meta tags. I understand from other bloggers that it takes sometime for Website Grader to recognize this. When I tried last time, it did not recognize Google's last update and showed my blog at PR0. But, later on it is OK. So, you have to wait for some more time. Thanks.

Anonymous January 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

I tried meta-tags a while ago and it did back fire. As I understand it G gets it's own site info without meta-tags and does a better job of it too! Take note on placement of left side widgets, G spiders from the bottom left widget.

Manick January 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Hi Skipratt,

As I said in my earlier part of this series, meta tags are losing its significance as blogs/ websites started to exploit it. Yes, Google places very less importance on meta tags. But, other search engines do use the meta tags. But, you should meta tags carefully and should not try to spam with keywords. Thanks for your views.

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP