Get Traffic with Current Events

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bring in traffic! As Much As Possible! Every blogger aims to do this. Some succeed, Many Fail. Why? We are not very sure of the best ways to bring in traffic. We explore new paths along the way; drop those that did not work for us. I am going to share with you something that worked well for me recently. The case study has nothing to do with "Assess My Blog"(I have better traffic than what is shown below).

I have taken another blog from my network to explain the strategy. Most importantly, I did not spend any time or money in promoting the blog. All I did is to write the post and forget it. Here is a snapshot of the traffic chart for the last two weeks for the blog in discussion:



As you can notice in the chart, there were about 265 unique visitors and 385 page loads on 7th April. On the following day, the blog generated 95 visitors with 115 page loads. If you look at the two-week data, you could notice that the traffic on 7th April jumped about 50 times the average. How did it happen? Let me tell you, this traffic is not from StumbleUpon or Digg or any other social media sites. I do not have any traffic exchange program in this blog like Entrecard. The bulk of the traffic, I would say about 95%, came from search engines like Google and Yahoo.

How did I get the Traffic?
I happened to be in a train when an accident at another station delayed me for about two hours. I took some pictures of the chaos that followed the accident. When I reached home, I wrote a post with my personal experience and first-hand count of what happened. Within hours, I noticed that visitors were flowing in to read my post.

What is the Secret here?
The trick and the keyword here is Current Events. Write about something that people are crazy about. Do you know what people are searching for right now? Then, write about it. If you are writing about an established topic, there are hundreds/ thousands of blogs fighting for the front page of Google or Yahoo. So, you may not be able to compete with them. But, if you are writing about something that is new, then the search engines will propel your blog up the ladder.

What should you write about?
About an accident just happened in your vicinity, about the traffic jam in the expressway of your city, about the rainy climate in your town, the important points of the speech by the Prime Minister or whatever that is current.

Can I compete with Online Media?
Good question. How can I compete with BBC or CNN when it comes to current events and latest News? This is where the power of blogging comes. Try searching for a current topic and see how many times an unknown blog tops the search in Google. You would be surprised. The search engines' algorithm gives much more importance to blogs than conventional web sites. So, all you have to do is think a little bit before you write.

How should I write?
You have to write your content with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in mind. Your title should include the keywords that most people would search for. Write a detailed description with at least about 150 to 250 words. Repeat the keywords inside the post without spamming. Keyword density, the ratio of the keyword to the total number of words, is important for you to appear higher on the search engines. Ensure that the topic is relevant to the overall theme of your blog.

The positive side of this technique is it primarily targets search engines. As such, you get traffic without any promotion. More importantly, these are the visitors who click on your advertisements and help you make some money. Please subscribe to my feed if you like this post

7 comments:

JPetals April 18, 2008 at 8:43 AM  

Hi there, I wanted to send you a personal message, but I couldn't find any info on your blog for doing so (BTW, your blog is awesome and is ranked in the 700,000 on alexa!!! I just broke the 1,000,000 mark). My blog is linked with yours (jpetals.blogspot.com) At any rate, I just found a program that is paying $150 a referral and I'm contacting those I have dealt with for online matters in the past (I am usually never this bold). The program is 100% free and I mean that!! At any rate, this is the link. Feel free to not publish it, I wanted to just send it to you and not spam the link. I can appreciate that you many not be ready to join something new, but if you decide to join the Free Online Cash System, please think of me.

Hi there,

I am linked with your blog (jpetals.blogspot.com). I know this is very bold of me, but I have found a new opportunity online. If you visit my blog, you will see I have been doing this for quite some time now, but it has taken me this long to find a program that really pays well. It pays $150 a referral..... and it's all free. I know that seems far fetched, and trust me, I was skeptical.... but now I know it will work and pay. They use the 1 up referral system so it can turn into a lucrative income with little work (later on).

At any rate, I'm sorry to have bothered you and I understand that you may not be interested, but if and when you decide to check it out, please think of me. The site is called Free Online Cash System and it just opened in December.... so it's really early to get in.

This is my link if you are interested http://www.isodcg.com/freeonlinecashsystem_js4.html

Thanks for listening,

Jodie

Anonymous April 20, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

Would you like to exchange links with me? Or write a post about my website.

Here are your links

http://widgetsforfree.blogspot.com/2008/04/most-popular-posts-widget.html


http://widgetsforfree.blogspot.com/2007/11/stockalicious-track-your-portfolio-with.html

Manick April 20, 2008 at 10:39 PM  

Hi WidgetsForFree,

I have added a link to your blog under my blog roll on the right side bar. Thanks.

Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 12:01 AM  

I agree with you. I remembered when we had the Nursing Licensure Exam released to the public here in PH. There were a lot of people who blogged about it just to get traffic to their site. I was a li'l uneasy about posting something that I really didn't care for but my objectives now have changed. I now blog towards a goal, which is to earn money online and improve my site's traffic. Reading your blogs definitely helped. Thanks a lot!

Manick September 30, 2008 at 2:06 AM  

Hi blankPixels,

You are absolutely right. You have to ride on the wave. Strike the iron when it is hot.

Thanks for the comments.

Anonymous December 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

competing with social media is certainly something to consider. but then, search engine results wise, there are ways to beat them. just make sure you properly place your keywords all over the blog post without having to sound redundant. good tips!

- sybil

Manick January 3, 2009 at 5:45 AM  

Hello "Professional SEO company",

Writing naturally, with keywords in mind, helps in SEO. Backlinks, from related blogs with keyword used as anchor text, is also important. Thanks for your comments.

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP