Inbound and Outbound links

Monday, November 12, 2007

Recently, one of our readers wanted to know what does an inbound link means. So, here is a post that shares what I know. Please feel free to add your view or any other links that you may find useful to the topic.

What is an inbound link?
The answer is simple; any link on some other blog/ web site that points to your blog is an inbound link to your blog. For example, if I include a link to your blog on my blogroll, then I have given you an inbound link.

What is an outbound link?
Consider a link provided on your sidebar to another blog, say, abc.xyz.com. The link on your blog is considered as an outbound link for your blog. The same link is considered as an inbound link to abc.xyz.com.

Why links are important?
The amount of quality inbound links to your site is one of the most important criteria used by search engines to rank your pages. Note the word ‘quality’ inbound links. All links are not equal to search engines. Some links are more important and will have more value than others. Links from highly ranked sites will be given more weightage when computing the rank of your blog.

How many inbound links do I have?
You can use search engines to find out how many inbound links you have. For example, go to Google.com and enter link:yoururl.com. The search will display a list of all websites that contain a link to your site. Google only returns a selection of inbound links; it doesn't show all links to your site.

Similarly, you can search for inbound links at Yahoo. Go to Yahoo! Site Explorer, type your url and click the button "Explore URL". It will display a list of inbound links to your site as seen by Yahoo.

Please subscribe to my feed if you like this post

9 comments:

Free Money Maker November 12, 2007 at 1:05 AM  

Thanks dear for this post.I have learn lot of.if you get more updates then post here.I have change my blog template.Please make a visit and tell me if there is any problem.I think there may be some problem with loading my page,viewing my contents.Oh I have also lost my page rank after uploading new template.If you have any suggestion then obviously knock me.Thanks.

Manick November 12, 2007 at 7:46 AM  

Hi Kasak,

I just visited your new template. You still need to finetune your template. Particularly, you need to provide some margin/ padding around all your elements. Especially, your post needs some padding all around.

You should not lose your page rank due to a new template. Page Rank has nothing to do with your layout or template. Check again.

Free Money Maker November 16, 2007 at 1:35 AM  

Yes dear you r right.But hw can I manage a border line between post or elements?If you have any info then tell me.Or yes I have not lost any rank.Its actully pagerank checker problem.I have check them and they have a problem to show the icon accurately.Its working on thier site,but facing prblm in my site.Ok it will be solve soon.

Manick November 22, 2007 at 8:37 PM  

Hi Kabiraj,

Sorry for the late reply. You can include <hr/> where you want a border line. This will include a horizontal line wherever you insert it.

Alternatively you can use the CSS border-bottom style like style="border-bottom: 1px;"

Its good to know that you have not lost the PageRank. I understand that the Google data centers were down for some time. That might have caused the temporary unavailability of the Page Rank. Thanks.

Anonymous September 30, 2008 at 3:52 AM  

Simple yet easy-to-understand post! Thanks for the tips on checking inbound links, I didn't know about it until I read this post.

Thank you very much.

Manick September 30, 2008 at 4:47 AM  

Hi Blogging for Novice,

Thanks for your comments. I am glad to know that the post is useful to you.

Anonymous December 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

it would indeed be a great practice to keep track of backlinks or inbound links. i personally use seopen add-on by firefox. not only do i get to see the results in google, yahoo or msn, alexa is included as well. great explanation on links.

- sybil

Manick January 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

Hello "Professional SEO company",

Thanks for your useful tips.

Unknown February 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM  

Hi...nice blog
visit my technology site:
www.gadgetorion.com

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP